Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Is Money Getting in Your Way

What is your relationship with money? Yes, you heard me right. Whether or not we want to admit it, money affects almost every aspect of our lives When was the last time you examined your relationship with money? Money influences our decisions on how much time to spend at work and how and how much to relax. Very often, it is not the amount of money we have but our perception of, and relationship with money that impacts our decisions in life.

Here are some examples of the types of relationships with money you may have –


Money is me. Money gives you status and identity. The more money you have, the better you feel about yourself.
Money is greed. Talking about money makes you uncomfortable. You have money in the bank, but you’d rather not talk about it.
Money is safety. Money makes you feel safe. It is your safety blanket. The more you have, the better you sleep at night
Money is air. You have no relationship with money. You take it for granted. You spend whatever you feel like regardless of how much money you have.

When I first started my coaching practice, I had a hard time asking people for business. In my mind, coaching was supposed to help people live a more fulfilling life. It felt disingenuous when money was involved, especially in a recession when many were struggling financially. When I noticed that I had an uneasy relationship with money and it was getting in my way, I realized that I had put too little value on the life benefits my coaching would provide and I was too hung up on the stigma associated with money that I created in my mind. Once I had the awareness of how my relationship with money was holding me back, I was able to work on that and free myself to acquire new clients.

I recently caught up with a good friend of mine who is a successful investment banker. He was thinking about moving out of the U.S. to work in Asia. The regulation changes in the US have impacted how much bonus the U.S. investment bankers can earn. Asia with a growing economy and loose regulations seems to be the new promise land.

Just out of curiosity, I asked him why he needed to make a lot of money and what he would use the money for. He is single and already has more money than he could spend.

There was a pause after I raised the question.

“Hmmm… That does make you think, doesn’t it? It is not like I can take it with me when I die.” He said softly. “I guess I have been in the same game everyone else is in.”

He went on to tell me that he had not had a real vacation for 3 years and talked about the stress on the job.

“I would be eligible for retirement in a few years if I stayed with my company. I think I could go teach English in Asia when I retire and stop worrying about taking a shower for a while.” He laughed.

“Well, I guess you won’t need a lot of money for that.” I teased him mischievously.

He smiled thoughtfully.

Do you let money define who you are or do you define your relationship with money?

If we manage our relationship with money well, it could propel us to success and happiness. But when we are not careful, it can take control of our life decisions. Just like a romantic relationship between a man and a woman, I think it is only healthy if there is give and take in our relationship with money. If we are giving all of our time to nurture money and it is not nurturing our soul, then it sucks energy out of us.

Does money help you nurture or limit your relationships with your aspirations and with other people in your life?

If we are madly in love with someone and center most of our lives around the person, we might risk losing our relationships with other people in our lives. The same is probably true with our relationship with money.

Is money getting in your way? Recognize the type of relationship you have with money and increase your awareness of when it is serving you and when it is holding you back. It will help you stay in control of that relationship. Wouldn’t it be better to let money work for you rather than the other way around?

No comments:

Post a Comment