Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Answer Is in the Question!

Many of us go through life looking for answers that will lead us to fulfillment in life or to career success. Very often the answers seem so hard to obtain. So we spend most of our time asking the same questions over and over again, searching and waiting for the right answers.

Has it ever occurred to you that you might be asking the wrong question?
Someone once asked me, "I have a good job at a great company but my dream is to have my own start-up company. It is hard to take the risk because I have a family to support. What should I do?"

"What I am hearing is that you have been asking yourself the question, 'What would happen to my family's finances if I quit my job?'". I pointed out that the question kept him focused on his problem. I suggested that he asked himself a different question,

"How do I start a business while maintaining financial stability for my family?"

This question opens up creativity and imagination and encourages the seeker to look for options to overcome his challenges while pursuing his goal. It fosters ideas such as the possibility of working on developing his business at night while he is still at the current job, or of reinvesting his stock option to generate an extra income stream as a safety net.

Many years ago, I worked for a U.S. personal care company in Asia. One of the products I managed was a line of tampons. The product category only had 1% usage rate because it was considered very intrusive in a conservative culture.
One year we ran multiple focus groups. I was sitting in the observatory room, eavesdropping on the consumers, when I heard some very unusual comments about the product. I had an "ah ha" moment and subsequently wrote a new marketing plan to shift the focus from brand advertising to educational and PR campaigns.
A few months later I was asked to drop by the sales meeting and share the new marketing strategy with the sales team. With the new strategy, I explained, product sales could grow by more than 30% during the peak season. The reception was cold.

Five minutes later, as I was waiting in the lobby for the elevator, a saleswoman who was in the meeting came up to me and told me what happened in the conference room after I left. The sales director said to the sales team,
"I have never seen any growth in our tampon sales in the 20 years since I joined the company. The marketing team had tried different campaigns to improve the revenues but all resulted in little change. How could a 30% growth be possible!?" He smirked. The whole room broke into laughter, according to my colleague's account. I remembered feeling a chill running through my body when I realized that I had become a laughing stock in the company. I was mortified

I gathered just enough strength to get back to my office. I called the production manager. The sales team was very powerful in the company at the time. Without their buy-in, I would not have the authority to change the sales forecast numbers that the production department would use to increase their production of the product. I told him about the challenge.

"What can be done to avert the product shortage? What is possible?" I asked. The product had to be imported so if the sales exceeded the previous forecast, the shortage could go on for months.

"Well, are you certain about your growth projection?" The production manager asked me.

I told him that this strategy had never been tried before but the research indicated a strong consumer fear which the new strategy was designed to overcome. There was no past event that I could use as a reference. However, if this were the right strategy, I was confident that we could generate 30% growth based on historical store data for similar products.

"As you know, I cannot increase the order size because the sales projection has not been bumped up. Hmmm.... Let me think about what I can do." He said, weighing the requirement to comply with the sales forecast already in our system and the potential of a product shortage. In the end, he came up with a great idea to hedge his risks. He decided to order from our European plant the same quantities as the original forecast but a few weeks earlier than usual. If sales picked up, he would request air shipments. If the sales remained flat, we would ship the order by sea.
Soon after the new marketing strategy was implemented, the tampon sales started to increase. The educational materials we created were flying off the shelf so quickly that I had to order more after just 2 weeks. The production manager, who was watching the sales activities closely, requested air shipments so we did not lose sales momentum. We were easily able to achieve the projected sales growth.

You see, by asking different questions, they triggered different responses and results.

"How could this be possible?" casts doubt and focuses on concerns.

"What is possible?" encourages brainstorming new ideas to achieve the goal.

Are you ready to challenge yourself or do you want to remain hindered by the obstacles you believe you face? Instead of asking yourself why you never have time for things that matter to you, ask yourself how you can make time for things that matter to you.

If you are feeling stuck and unable to make progress toward your goals, try asking a new question that encourages you to overcome the obstacles and points you at a new direction that you haven't looked at before.

So what is the question you have yet to ask yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment